From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:17:46
1 Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Grant Goodyear wrote: [Tue Jan 10 2006, 11:09:15AM EST]
3 >
4 >>As an aside, it's ciarnanm has already put work in on developing an RST to
5 >>guidexml converter, so I wouldn't worry too much about RST not scaling.
8 > Could that be used dynamically on the server? The last time I was
9 > familiar with the gentoo.org server, it was running axkit and
10 > dynamically generating HTML from the GuideXML. Is it a relatively
11 > simple matter to support .rst files in the same manner?
12
13 Actually, we're moving away from axkit because its a PITA to maintain.
14 Currently, two of the three web nodes are running a home grown app
15 called gorg that runs via ruby. It seems to work rather well.
16
17 > A related question: How hard would it be to enable the dynamic
18 > generation for dev.gentoo.org/~users? That would make development of
19 > RST or GuideXML documents *much* simpler, since we could just work on
20 > the file in our public_html and test render it by accessing through
21 > a web browser.
22
23 Last I knew, its not a simple task for generating those nice looking
24 html pages that ciaranm made a while back for the developer docs. When I
25 asked him about (he can probably provide more detail), It took a lot of
26 processing time and wasn't that scalable. Now, I'm not sure if anything
27 has changed since then.
28
29 I can probably setup toucan to use gorg in some fashion if I had a few
30 folks to test it with. I'm sure that would make things easier for a lot
31 of people for rendering things.
34 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
35 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
36
37 ---
38 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
39 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
40
41 ramereth/irc.freenode.net