From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:19:12
1 Thierry Carrez wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
5 >>Oh god help. This also points to another reason why this is not such a
6 >>good idea. Writing guideXML is a lot more work than writing an e-mail
7 >>format file (ciaran's proposed format for those who didn't recognize it).
8 >>
9 >>Also having double files containing the same information is broken by
10 >>design.
13 > OK so there is two options :
14 >
15 > 1- every "news" requires a GuideXML/RST/whatever errata at a central web
16 > location
17 > Pros:
18 > - non-portage user can easily browse errata
19 > - consistency in documentation
20 > Cons:
21 > - work overhead for errata-writing dev
22 >
23 > 2- every "news" requires just a short text-based item, extra doc is optional
24 > Pros:
25 > - flexibility: short news don't require writing extra doc
26 > - external doc reuse: the documentation referenced in the news item can
27 > be some upstream upgrade doc when sufficient
28 > Cons:
29 > - lack of consistency and difficulty for non-portage users to browse
30
31 I don't understand the last point really ... You can always transform
32 the plain text message into GuideXML (you just might not have all the
33 fancy markup, but even that could be solved).
34 So all in all I really don't understand this whole subthread, I'll just
35 post how I see it right now:
36 There will be one location (either in the tree or replicated to the
37 tree) which contains summary style notices for important tree updates.
38 The format of the notices should be as simple as possible (I've learned
39 this the hard way with the GLSA system) while allowing at least basic
40 filtering rules, I think the format described in the GLEP is good for
41 that. It should also be possible to easily transform those notices into
42 a website (be it errata.g.o or something else) that matches the general
43 look and feel of the Gentoo websites, should be simple enough with the
44 given format (but then I don't know much about XSLT).
45 If a notice needs a more detailed explanation that should be submitted
46 in the docs section (maybe a special "Upgrade Guides" section?) and
47 linked to from the notice.
48 Should also be simple enough to replicate notices to thw www.g.o
49 frontpage/GWN/-announce/...
50
51 Just to make this crystal clear again: The main point of the notices is
52 to get peoples attention so they become aware that some upgrade might
53 not be as smooth as usual, not necessarily to provide them with all
54 potential information, that's the job of the (external) upgrade guides.
55
56 One thing I'd be interested in before adding support for this: How many
57 such notices do people here expect per year? Mainly trying to get an
58 idea how this would affect the tree size and if it needs some
59 "housekeeping" (e.g. five files per month aren't an issue, 500 files per
60 month might be).
61
62 Marius
63 --