From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:19:48
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > Oh god help. This also points to another reason why this is not such a
4 > good idea. Writing guideXML is a lot more work than writing an e-mail
5 > format file (ciaran's proposed format for those who didn't recognize it).
6 >
7 > Also having double files containing the same information is broken by
8 > design.
9
10 OK so there is two options :
11
12 1- every "news" requires a GuideXML/RST/whatever errata at a central web
13 location
14 Pros:
15 - non-portage user can easily browse errata
16 - consistency in documentation
17 Cons:
18 - work overhead for errata-writing dev
19
20 2- every "news" requires just a short text-based item, extra doc is optional
21 Pros:
22 - flexibility: short news don't require writing extra doc
23 - external doc reuse: the documentation referenced in the news item can
24 be some upstream upgrade doc when sufficient
25 Cons:
26 - lack of consistency and difficulty for non-portage users to browse
27
28 We can have the best of both worlds if we find a way to reduce the work
29 overhead to 0 (using some kind of news2errataXml translator ?). If we
30 can't, I tend to favor the second solution...
33 Koon
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list