From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:35:17
1 On Friday 04 November 2005 09:32, John Myers wrote:
2 > [[ACK! I sent this out from the wrong address before. Hope you don't
3 > get it twice!]]
4 >
5 > On Thursday 03 November 2005 21:44, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
6 > > No, I happen to understand the that point. Emerge outputting a short
7 > > summary is great. But the GLEP should cover the "hey mr. end user,
8 > > the central repository for errata/full fledged migration guides is
9 > > here: [insert url]" as well.
10 >
11 > [snip]
12 >
13 > > I happen to think that the assumption that the errata are going to be
14 > > small is a bad one. I think if errata is neccessary in the first
15 > > place then its going to be something larger than a screen's worth of
16 > > console output and worth the supposed trouble of GuideXML. So why not
17 > > approach it from the GuideXML end first, and extract the summary from
18 > > that?
19 >
20 > Here's an idea for a compromise solution. Sorry it's so messy:
21 >
22 > The errata entries would consist of two files per language:
23 > - An emerge news file, identical to the format ciaranm proposed.
24 > This file would give a very general notice of the issue, such as
25 > that given as an example in the GLEP, as well as containing the
26 > machine-readable commands for portage to control display.
27 > This file's name would end in .news.<LC>.txt
28 > - A GuideXML-formatted errata document.
29 > This would be the actual migration guide, such as the contents of
30 > the http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/yoursql-upgrading.xml
31 > referenced by the example.
32 > This file's name would end in .guide.<LC>.xml
33 > - The leading part of the filename would be as in ciaranm's GLEP
34
35 Oh god help. This also points to another reason why this is not such a
36 good idea. Writing guideXML is a lot more work than writing an e-mail
37 format file (ciaran's proposed format for those who didn't recognize it).
38
39 Also having double files containing the same information is broken by
40 design. This doesn't mean that all information should be in the news
41 file. Let me give an example that would have been relevant some time ago.
42
43 Title: Incompatible subversion repository change
44 Author: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
45 Content-Type: text/plain
46 Posted: 2005-11-04
47 Version: 1
48 Display-If-Installed: <dev-util/subversion-0.34.0
49
50 Subversion has a new repository layout. This new layout is incompatible
51 with repositories created with versions before 0.34.0. If you only use
52 this machine as client, there are no consequences.
53
54 If this machine contains repositories however, these must be dumped before
55 installing >=dev-util/subversion-0.34.0. After installation new
56 repositories can be created and the dumps can be reloaded.
57
58 For more information on dumping and loading see the subversion migration
59 guide:
60 http://subversion.tigris.org/subversion_migration.
63 <the above url is not correct, everything else would have been>
64
65 If I have to write such a file in guidexml it would be a lot more
66 complicated. Further this news item would only be relevant to people
67 providing older subversion repositories wanting to update. As erata would
68 contain all these files, it would be a swamp, hard to wade through.
69
70 I also fail to see where such a file as illustrated above is unclear to
71 read. I prefer it over a bloated webpage with all kinds of slowness and
72 eyecandy.
73
74 Paul
77 Paul de Vrieze