From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:41:47
1 Thierry Carrez wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
5 >>Oh god help. This also points to another reason why this is not such a
6 >>good idea. Writing guideXML is a lot more work than writing an e-mail
7 >>format file (ciaran's proposed format for those who didn't recognize it).
8 >>
9 >>Also having double files containing the same information is broken by
10 >>design.
13 > OK so there is two options :
14 >
15 > 1- every "news" requires a GuideXML/RST/whatever errata at a central web
16 > location
17 > Pros:
18 > - non-portage user can easily browse errata
19 > - consistency in documentation
20 > Cons:
21 > - work overhead for errata-writing dev
22 >
23 > 2- every "news" requires just a short text-based item, extra doc is optional
24 > Pros:
25 > - flexibility: short news don't require writing extra doc
26 > - external doc reuse: the documentation referenced in the news item can
27 > be some upstream upgrade doc when sufficient
28 > Cons:
29 > - lack of consistency and difficulty for non-portage users to browse
30 >
31 > We can have the best of both worlds if we find a way to reduce the work
32 > overhead to 0 (using some kind of news2errataXml translator ?). If we
33 > can't, I tend to favor the second solution...
34
35 Both can be done.
36 Posting news items on our front page can be done today, publishing upgrade
37 notes can be done today, grouping all upgrade documents in an upgrade category
38 on the main doc index (docs.gentoo.org) can be done today, having
39 upgrade.gentoo.org point to it can be done one hour later.
40 All of the above does not require a single line of code.
41
42 I suppose the news snippets could also be integrated in packages.gentoo.org,
43 hopefully without requiring too much work.
46 / Xavier Neys
47 \_ Gentoo Documentation Project
48 / French & Internationalisation Lead
49 \ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en