From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ALSA maintainers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:15:38
1 On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:54:21 -0400
2 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Daniel Drake wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I have suggested that herd support for the kernelspace side
7 > > (alsa-driver) be slowly reduced, by redirecting users who file bugs
8 > > against it to reproduce with the in-kernel drivers, and then let
9 > > kernel handle the bug resolution. This will remove duplicated
10 > > maintenance efforts.
11 > >
12 > The only crummy thing about this is that the in kernel drivers have
13 > NEVER supported my sound card. Not even on 2.6.20. I'm using hda-intel
14 > and it just never works. I end up always returning back to
15 > alsa-driver. So I don't think that the code bases are the same.
16 >
17 > But I guess this is what I'll have to live with unless I want to step
18 > up as an alsa maintainer.
19
20 Well, I just tested in-kernel 2.6.20 and alsa-driver 1.0.14_rc3 both
21 work equally well with my Intel HDA in my IBM ThinkPad Z60m.
22
23 The only reason I changed to alsa-driver was when there was a mismatch
24 between alsa-lib and the 32 bit alsa-lib on ~amd64. I'll see if the
25 in-kernel drivers work now (via-82xx).
26
27 Based on my fond experiences with ipw2200, rt2500 and rt2x00, once
28 something is in-kernel it just seem to work better, IMO.
29
30 Thanks
31
32 Roy