From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.1 will not include a secure portage.
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:53:01
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wednesday 24 March 2004 15:24, Jesse Nelson wrote:
5 >
6 > signing @ a file level (even using signed sig files) stops a
7 > compromise of a rsync server from being an issue at all. imho a better
8 > solution. It does push the problem out to the devs keys or whatever
9 > you do for keys.. thats where the peer review and multiple sigs come
10 > into play.
11
12 I do not oppose normal key revokation to happen next to fast rotation
13 based security. (So invalid dev keys can be revoked) We need however to
14 have a way to distribute a list of those keys that can sign packages.
15 The location of this list can allways be compromised. (One could do a
16 DOS on the webnodes where it is stored). The only solution to this is to
17 use a short lifetime for such a list.
18
19 It is not possible in all cases to actually revoke a key. What if a
20 developer leaves gentoo. We can hardly require him to revoke his key if
21 he uses it for other identities too. And even if we ask him to, there
22 are no guarantees he will. Also using standard web of trust would mean
23 that anyone whose key I have signed can sign a package. I don't want
24 that as many of those people are not gentoo devs. The only thing my
25 signature means is that I verified that they are themselves.
26
27 > 100% is totally impracticall but this does double the effort required
28 > to compromise integrity. thats not that bad of an optimization really.
29
30 It also more than quadruples the efforts needed for actually committing a
31 change to an ebuild. As a start we can better have single signing that
32 spending months on reorganization and devising a way to have practical
33 multiple signing.
34
35 The problem is that signing can be done today. Multiple signing will need
36 probably at least a half year.
37
38 > > Yes, it is. However with over 200 developers changing things
39 > > overnight is like trying to change the direction of a mammuth oil
40 > > tanker 90 degrees in 15 minutes. It is plain impossible.
41 >
42 > i totally agree, but im laying out my voice.. 1 sig and 1 signer is
43 > really quite easy to get around. 2 is alot harder.. and once you have
44 > the process in place for 2 sigs its is not difficult to extend it to
45 > 1+X sigs. where each itteratin of X increase trust in package quite
46 > alot.
47
48 The problem is that with each change to a package all previous signatures
49 are invalid (they don't match the package anymore). This means that
50 basically when one wants to change a package one must commit and sign it
51 yourself. Then find someone who will check the packages again and have
52 him sign it again.
53
54 We can probably devise a way in which we could allow multiple signatures
55 if it were on a file instead of package base. However that would not
56 mean that the latest greatest version would be guaranteed multiply
57 signed.
58
59 Also single or multiple signing does not change the keyring part at all.
60 The signing keys still would need to be allowed to sign, so there needs
61 to be a list of all keys authorized to sign packages. There is no
62 possibility that we can guarantee that we will be able to revoke such a
63 list, so the list needs to have a short lifetime as an alternative
64 security enhancement. The shorter the lifetime, the safer it is, but
65 also more bothersome and resource intensive. 1 day seems to be a good
66 compromise.
67
68 Paul
69