From: Anders Bruun Olsen <anders@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Python setuptools/eggs
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:18:35
1 Hi,
2
3 I wanted to try out the new and fabled TurboGears and found that it uses
4 the new python software distribution tool setuptools and is distributed
5 as python eggs. I can easily install it with setuptools/easy_setup, but
6 I wanted to make an ebuild for TurboGears, which is not just so with
7 setuptools and eggs.
8 I started making ebuilds for the dependencies, but it seems that
9 setuptools has a nasty habit of downloading dependencies for a package
10 if it hasn't been installed by setuptools. So when eg. the new SQLObject
11 0.7rc1 (which also uses setuptools) depends upon FormEncode (not to
12 mention depends upon setuptools) it does not care that I have already
13 emerged setuptools or FormEncode, it just downloads the egg for it and
14 installs it.
15
16 It seems that alot of python projects are starting to use
17 setuptools/easy_install/eggs, and granted, it is quite neat, but there
18 needs to figured out a way to handle installing these things through
19 Portage, or alot of new versions are going to be a pain to have
20 installed.
21
22 How should Portage handle this?
23
24 I was thinking that maybe hacking up a Gentoo specific version of
25 setuptools that would make it work together with Portage or something
26 like that, but it seems a bit un-gentoo-like.
27 A different approach could be to grab the .egg files and manually
28 install them in the ebuilds, which wouldn't be a problem for pure-python
29 packages, but would suck for packages with c-extensions included, since
30 some might end bound to a specific subset of archs.
31
32 Instead of me just blindly fumbling in the blind for a way to get
33 ebuilds for TurboGears and it's assorted dependencies, I thought it
34 would be better to get some official guidelines.
35
36 Some useful URLs:
37 http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools
38 http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall