From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: kubernetes packaging
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 23:10:28
1 On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:30:48PM +0200, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
2 > * William Hubbs schrieb am 14.09.20 um 00:39 Uhr:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > I would like to get some thoughts on kubernetes packaging.
6 > >
7 > > When I started maintaining it in Gentoo, it was packaged as 7 ebuilds
8 > > (one per executable), and only one of them was marked stable.
9 > >
10 > > Since we normally do not split up monorepos into separate packages, I
11 > > started moving everything over to one kubernetes ebuild.
12 > > Now a bug has
13 > > been opened which has a good case for kubeadm being a package on its
14 > > own, so I have done that [1].
15 > >
16 > > I need to know the best way to proceed, so I'll throw out a couple
17 > > of questions:
18 > >
19 > > 1) should I bring back the split packages and lastrites
20 > > sys-cluster/kubernetes?
21 > >
22 > > 2) should I just bring back other split packages that need to be split
23 > > as I find them?
24 > >
25 > > What do folks think would be the best way for us to package Kubernetes?
28 > Interesting.
29 >
30 > So it seems like at least kubeadm and kube-apiserver need to be in
31 > seperate packages.
32 >
33 > I am not a kubernetes guy, but would SLOTting be an option? Like
34 > postgresql for example where you need both versions, old a new to do
35 > database migration.
36
37 I'm not really interested in slotting; that becomes complicated really
38 quickly -- renaming all of the binaries to version-specific names
39 writing an eselect module, etc.
40
41 > If this is not an option I would say this is a case for split package
42 > and perhaps a meta-package bringing all of them together.
43
44 Thinking about it more, the split packages are going to be the best
45 setup. However, a meta package would only be valuable if all parts of
46 kubernetes are needed on the same machine, and that isn't the case most
47 of the time from what I've been told.
48
49 If folks think that single case justifies one, let me know.
50 My thought is that the meta package, if I create one, should only have a
51 two level version number and use * dependencies to match all package
52 versions in that range.
53
54 What do others think? is it worth a meta package for the case of having
55 all kubernetes binaries on one machine? If so, what do you think about
56 my suggestion of the minor versions for the meta package?
57
58 William