From: Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: kubernetes packaging
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:30:58
1 * William Hubbs schrieb am 14.09.20 um 00:39 Uhr:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I would like to get some thoughts on kubernetes packaging.
5 >
6 > When I started maintaining it in Gentoo, it was packaged as 7 ebuilds
7 > (one per executable), and only one of them was marked stable.
8 >
9 > Since we normally do not split up monorepos into separate packages, I
10 > started moving everything over to one kubernetes ebuild.
11 > Now a bug has
12 > been opened which has a good case for kubeadm being a package on its
13 > own, so I have done that [1].
14 >
15 > I need to know the best way to proceed, so I'll throw out a couple
16 > of questions:
17 >
18 > 1) should I bring back the split packages and lastrites
19 > sys-cluster/kubernetes?
20 >
21 > 2) should I just bring back other split packages that need to be split
22 > as I find them?
23 >
24 > What do folks think would be the best way for us to package Kubernetes?
27 Interesting.
28
29 So it seems like at least kubeadm and kube-apiserver need to be in
30 seperate packages.
31
32 I am not a kubernetes guy, but would SLOTting be an option? Like
33 postgresql for example where you need both versions, old a new to do
34 database migration.
35
36 If this is not an option I would say this is a case for split package
37 and perhaps a meta-package bringing all of them together.
38
39 -Marc
43 0xCA3E7BF67F979BE5 - F7FB 78F7 7CC3 79F6 DF07
44 6E9E CA3E 7BF6 7F97 9BE5