From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic Bug Assignment
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 15:27:14
1 On Sat, Feb 06, 2016 at 09:09:13AM +0100, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 01/30/2016 06:45 PM, Alex Brandt wrote:
3 > > Hey Guys,
4 > >
5 > > I've oft wondered why we don't automatically assign bugs to the
6 > > ebuild maintainer (if a CPV is in the subject). Would there be an
7 > > issue with adding a bug modification hook to bugzilla or a daily
8 > > job to re-assign bugs to ebuild owners (if a CPV is in the
9 > > subject)?
10 > >
11 > > Just curious not trying to incite anything.
12 > >
13 > > Regards,
14 > >
15 > Maybe we could add a "Assign to maintainer(s)" button visible only to
16 > certain groups of users, so that a bugwrangler who decides this bug is
17 > valid just has to hit one button instead of figuring out the details of
18 > assignment?
19 >
20 > There seems to be valid criticism about fully automating the workflow,
21 > but partial automation can still save huge amounts of time ...
22
23 One concern I see with making this part of the web ui for Bugzilla is
24 that Bugzilla would have to be able to parse the metadata.xml files in
25 our portage tree to find the maintainers.
26
27 Something like this could be done pretty easily though with an external
28 program, a python script for example, using Bugzilla's web services API. [1]
29
30 William
31
32 [1] https://www.bugzilla.org/docs/5.0/en/html/api/Bugzilla/WebService.html