From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Agenda [WAS: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:01:47
1 On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:52:13 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > > You should instead be asking the pkgcore guys why they should be
4 > > allowed to continue keeping a package in the tree when they're
5 > > blatantly ignoring the EAPI process.
6 >
7 > The eapi process is something not defined so they cannot do much
8 > about it, same for the portage people.
9
10 The EAPI process requires that any package manager that claims to
11 support a particular EAPI really does. When someone releases a package
12 manager that has significant bugs in new EAPI handling, we have to
13 decide:
14
15 * whether we can use the EAPI in the tree
16 * whether we have to avoid the bits of that EAPI that are broken
17 * whether we have to release a new EAPI n+1 that's identical to EAPI n,
18 and completely ban EAPI n.
19
20 Package manager maintainers refusing to do basic testing before
21 claiming support for a new EAPI has very messy consequences. If package
22 manager maintainers aren't going to do the responsible thing, the whole
23 point of EAPIs is lost.
26 Ciaran McCreesh