From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Recruitment process is moving back to quizzes
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 13:46:18
1 On 15 July 2012 21:27, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
3 > <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 13:15:26 +0800
5 >> Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> The first time I did the quizzes, it took me 9 months. After having
7 >>> been away for a couple of years, I recently returned as Gentoo
8 >>> dev, and the second time I did the quizzes it took me 3 months.
9 >>> I've seen others take a long time doing them as well. Davide (pesa),
10 >>> one of our most valued contributors in the Qt team, took close
11 >>> to two years I think.
12 >>
13 >> If it's taking you that long, you're doing something wrong... The
14 >> quizzes are pretty easy, and only test the bare minimum of what you
15 >> should know. They shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours.
16 >
17 > I'd be interested in why it was taking so long as well. I took the
18 > quizzes first when becoming an AT, and later when becoming a dev. The
19 > level of rigor was much higher of course when becoming a dev - which
20 > was appropriate. I did struggle because policies were not always
21 > spelled out, so many of the questions took interaction with my mentor
22 > to resolve. Sometimes the indirectness of some of the questions was
23 > frustrating, but it didn't take more than maybe 8 hours in total with
24 > revisions/etc.
25
26 It's not that it takes all that much time. It can be done in say one or two
27 workdays. But you need to set aside a block of time (and usually two,
28 one for each of the quizzes, or more if you need to break it up or
29 iterate over it after feedback) in which you can be relatively
30 distraction-free and well concentrated. You need to make sure
31 to check the documentation to find the wanted answers, and word
32 your answers carefully to be precise and cover all angles.
33
34 Since it is a low-urgency and low-fun task, most of us will end up
35 doing other things on our to-do list, or simply being distracted.
36 It then gets postponed again and again and again.
39 Cheers,
40
41 Ben | yngwin
42 Gentoo developer
43 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin