From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Recruitment process is moving back to quizzes
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 13:28:31
1 On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 13:15:26 +0800
4 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
5 >> The first time I did the quizzes, it took me 9 months. After having
6 >> been away for a couple of years, I recently returned as Gentoo
7 >> dev, and the second time I did the quizzes it took me 3 months.
8 >> I've seen others take a long time doing them as well. Davide (pesa),
9 >> one of our most valued contributors in the Qt team, took close
10 >> to two years I think.
11 >
12 > If it's taking you that long, you're doing something wrong... The
13 > quizzes are pretty easy, and only test the bare minimum of what you
14 > should know. They shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours.
15
16 I'd be interested in why it was taking so long as well. I took the
17 quizzes first when becoming an AT, and later when becoming a dev. The
18 level of rigor was much higher of course when becoming a dev - which
19 was appropriate. I did struggle because policies were not always
20 spelled out, so many of the questions took interaction with my mentor
21 to resolve. Sometimes the indirectness of some of the questions was
22 frustrating, but it didn't take more than maybe 8 hours in total with
23 revisions/etc. I'd give it my best shot, my mentor would review and
24 offer hints/suggestions, and we'd iterate. I learned quite a bit in
25 the process.
26
27 Random thought here - it probably wouldn't hurt to have some kind of
28 ebuild tutorial that works through a few examples to explain how
29 ebuilds work, and demonstrate good technique. That could be useful
30 not just for developer candidates, but for the community in general.
31 Our ebuild docs aren't bad at all actually, but they're mainly in the
32 form of reference now, and something that was more oriented to
33 teaching might be useful. Maybe we need something that starts with
34 "hello world" and goes from there...
35
36 Rich