From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/cryptography to use rust, effectively killing alpha, hppa, ia64, m68k, s390
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 01:51:50
1 On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 08:51 +0800, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > >
3 > > The first big blocker we're going to hit is trustme [3] package that
4 > > relies on cryptography API pretty heavily to generate TLS certs for
5 > > testing. If we managed to convince upstream to support an alternate
6 > > crypto backend, we'd be able to retain minor keywords a lot of packages
7 > > without too much pain.
8 >
9 > I could feel the pain.
10 >
11 > Bootstraping Rust on Prefix is somewhere between alpha, hppa, ia64,
12 > m68k, s390 and amd64[1]. The problem was exposed by
13 > gnome-base/librsvg[2].
14 >
15 > I am wondering how useable pkgcore is on alpha, hppa, etc. Maybe it's
16 > time for us to plan for a Gentoo without essential Python dependency.
17
18 It's not usable anywhere. We keep updating the PMS, and the council
19 keeps voting to approve the new versions, and we teach all new
20 developers that they need to respect both the PMS and council
21 decisions... and then from that day on, everyone completely, publicly,
22 ignores it, adding thousands of packages across entire ecosystems that
23 don't work properly without portage. I'd like to say it's one of the
24 craziest things I've ever seen, but, there was 2020.
25
26 We "started" with three package managers, and now we're down to one.
27 The council needs to grow some balls and enforce the PMS before that
28 can change. Pkgcore could be salvaged if you could actually update your
29 system with it.
30
31 For my "me too," I've been told by upstream that the next major version
32 of clamav will require rust. There are a lot of "real" UNIX machines
33 relying on clamav for e.g. PCI compliance that will be screwed by that,
34 not to mention all of the small business routers and mail gateways on
35 obscure or limited hardware. Personally, I just haven't spent the last
36 20 years contributing to free software to be casually migrated to a
37 system of bundled binary blobs; nor am I able to set aside 8GB of RAM
38 for hours to rebuild the latest version of rust and its myriad
39 unofficial dependencies every day on a production mail server.
40 Eventually clamav will disappear, and we'll likely move a few big
41 customers to Microsoft O365 as a result.