From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 15:04:42
1 On Tue, 2019-12-10 at 09:50 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/9/19 3:17 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > 2. Mailing list reviews don't serve their original purpose.
4 > >
5 > > The original purpose of mailing list reviews was to verify that
6 > > the developers use new packages correctly. For example, Michael
7 > > Orlitzky has found a lot of unnecessary home directories specified.
8 > > Of course, that works only if people submit *ebuilds* for review.
9 > >
10 > > However, at some points developers arbitrarily decided to send only
11 > > numbers for review. This defeats the purpose of the review in the first
12 > > place.
15 > For users like "git" and "ntp" that are shared by multiple packages, I
16 > think the mailing list review is still helpful. We fixed big problems
17 > with those two that only came to light during review. If somebody else
18 > requests a UID for "your" user, that gives you a chance to review their
19 > acct-user ebuild and make sure that it's compatible with your package.
20 >
21 > For esoteric packages with a dedicated user, though, you're probably
22 > right. The main benefit of the mailing list posts so far is that they
23 > let me track down pull requests and suggest that people ignore the
24 > example in the devmanual.
25 >
26 > If we can remove
27 >
28 > ACCT_USER_SHELL=/usr/bin/foo
29 > ACCT_USER_HOME=/var/lib/foo
30 > ACCT_USER_HOME_OWNER=foo:bar
31 > ACCT_USER_HOME_PERMS=0775
32 >
33 > from [1], that would really help people guess the right thing to do the
34 > first time around.
37 Feel free to submit a PR for that if you didn't include it in your big
38 changes (or make it separate to make it happen faster).
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny