From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change layout of distfiles
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:47:31
1 On Monday 06 March 2006 13:18, Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Daniel Ostrow wrote:
3 > > Hrm, /me thinks you are missing something there, almost the entire tree
4 > > doesn't explicitly state the mirror://gentoo SRC_URI, portage handles
5 > > that automatically. That being the case portage would have change so that
6 > > the automatic lookup was mirror://gentoo/${firstchar}/. So that is at
7 > > least one portage change I can think of being required....
8 >
9 > Huh? What does it state then? AFAIK ebuilds should ALWAYS use the
10 > mirror:// URI when possible, and since this change is only affecting our
11 > own mirrors, it is always possible.
12
13 You seem to be missing my point, let's pick an ebuild at random, say
14 app-admin/cronolog whose SRC_URI="http://cronolog.org/download/${P}.tar.gz",
15 no the automirror script will need to know to mirror at in /c/ on the
16 distfiles mirrors, that's outside of portage, however when I emerge cronolog
17 portage will need to know that the location, on the distfiles mirrors, of
18 cronolog, is now the equivilent of mirror://gentoo/${firstchar}, taking
19 distfiles.gentoo.org as an example that would mean
20 http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/c/${P}.tar.gz, that means a portage
21 modification in my book.
22
23 > > Sure I can still see your point about needing to manually change the
24 > > packages that do explicitly state mirror://gentoo in their SRC_URI, but
25 > > given that you would have to do the above anyway....
26 >
27 > Huh?? My point was that we shouldn't have to change all those ebuilds
28 > but instead just changing the mirror://gentoo-mapping.
29
30 And I was saying I agree since the same work has to be done to handle all the
31 automirrored stuff anyway.
34 Daniel Ostrow
35 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
36 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}