From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Handling of tests (was: GCC USE flag changes)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 07:58:03
1 On Wed, 1 May 2013 19:18:52 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 1 May 2013 10:14:02 +0200
5 > Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:25:40 -0600
8 > > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > I'm also going to rename the "test" flag to "regression-test" or
11 > > > something similar to get it out of FEATURES="test" control. The
12 > > > testsuite is a huge time-suck and only useful to developers IMO
13 > > > (always expected to fail and primarily meant to be used to check
14 > > > for regressions between patchsets). I'm a big supporter of
15 > > > FEATURES="test" by default and I think this is a small step
16 > > > towards that.
17 > >
18 > > This step is so tiny that we wont ever reach the goal like this.
19 >
20 > I was hoping it would set a precedent and then people would start
21 > thinking of splitting up test into categories, maybe even start a
22 > thread about it ;).
23
24 Hehe, yes, you forced me to speak up with trying to set a precedent I
25 think will get in the way of solving it in a more complete way.
26
27 Though for that we have to agree on
28
29 - split is desirable
30 - which categories and how to classify tests
31 - how to implement the splitting (EAPI support?)
32
33 [...]
34
35 > > ... and improve on how to configure Portage whether to run tests of
36 > > any given category.
37 >
38 > Yeah I'd love to be able to do something like emerge TESTS="dev qa
39 > system -extradeps -expensive" @world.
43 I was thinking about a /etc/portage/package.test that works more like
44 package.use. So most users will want to have something like:
45
46 # package.test
47 */* cheap
48
49 Others might use:
50
51 # package.test
52 */* cheap normal
53 */*::sunrise expensive
54
55 my-pkg/foo *
56
57 # broken test suite, bug XXX
58 =dev-foo/bar-1.1 -*
59
60 This would also be pretty similar to what your regression-tests useflag
61 for gcc would have been. Even though Portage allows you to configure
62 FEATURES=test on a per package basis since a couple years it doesn't
63 seem to have become a common practice. While Portages mechanism is
64 powerful it might be just to complex or tedious for the average user.
67 As for your example command line 'emerge TESTS="dev qa system
68 -extradeps -expensive" @world', could you elaborate on what the
69 categories dev qa system are about?