From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Handling of tests (was: GCC USE flag changes)
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 01:08:51
1 On Wed, 1 May 2013 10:14:02 +0200
2 Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:25:40 -0600
5 > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > I'm also going to rename the "test" flag to "regression-test" or
8 > > something similar to get it out of FEATURES="test" control. The
9 > > testsuite is a huge time-suck and only useful to developers IMO
10 > > (always expected to fail and primarily meant to be used to check for
11 > > regressions between patchsets). I'm a big supporter of
12 > > FEATURES="test" by default and I think this is a small step towards
13 > > that.
14 >
15 > This step is so tiny that we wont ever reach the goal like this.
16
17 I was hoping it would set a precedent and then people would start thinking of
18 splitting up test into categories, maybe even start a thread about it ;).
19
20 > Let's
21 > start to properly classify test into categories, like for instance
22 >
23 > - expected to be run (cheap, no silly deps)
24 > - good thing if run (still reasonable wrt resources) (current src_test)
25 > - if you are the maintainer or simply curious. (boost, jtreg and
26 > friends)
27
28 Something like "dev-test" or "qa-test"? I can think of a couple packages..
29
30 > ... and improve on how to configure Portage whether to run tests of any
31 > given category.
32
33 Yeah I'd love to be able to do something like emerge TESTS="dev qa
34 system -extradeps -expensive" @world.
38 gcc-porting
39 toolchain, wxwidgets
40 @ gentoo.org