From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Handling of tests (was: GCC USE flag changes)
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 08:14:24
1 On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:25:40 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm also going to rename the "test" flag to "regression-test" or
5 > something similar to get it out of FEATURES="test" control. The
6 > testsuite is a huge time-suck and only useful to developers IMO
7 > (always expected to fail and primarily meant to be used to check for
8 > regressions between patchsets). I'm a big supporter of
9 > FEATURES="test" by default and I think this is a small step towards
10 > that.
11
12 This step is so tiny that we wont ever reach the goal like this. Let's
13 start to properly classify test into categories, like for instance
14
15 - expected to be run (cheap, no silly deps)
16 - good thing if run (still reasonable wrt resources) (current src_test)
17 - if you are the maintainer or simply curious. (boost, jtreg and
18 friends)
19
20 ... and improve on how to configure Portage whether to run tests of any
21 given category.