From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:41:09
1 Sven Wegener wrote:
2 > I like to have them separate. USE and use.mask are incremental, that
3 > means we might lock (via use.mask) a flag that is not set by the profile
4 > the use.mask is in. This might result in unwanted locking. Considering
5 > we want to use.mask (as in the old meaning, forcing it to be off)
6 > ncurses in the current profile, then we also need to USE="-ncurses" in
7 > the profile to make sure the flag is off and not activated by another
8 > profile. This needs to be done for all flags that should be use.mask'ed
9 > and that are, depending on the profile, quite a lot. Means double
10 > management work. Other solution is to modify portage to evaluate every
11 > use.mask and USE on a per profile level. But that's somehow against the
12 > cascading aspect of the profiles.
13
14 Yeah, I didn't think of that. Good point.
15
16 >>Question: with use.force, what happens if a flag is both masked and
17 >>forced? Does it get turned on, get turned off, or get portage to
18 >>complain and abort?
21 > Good question. I would prefer to turn the flag off and make portage
22 > print a message.
23
24 Sounds good enough to me. Just make sure it doesn't get printed for
25 every package if something gets broken after emerge sync :)
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list