From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:23:23
1 On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 06:47:30PM +0200, Harald van D??k wrote:
2 > Just a thought, but how about making use.mask lock flags instead of
3 > forcing them off? Meaning, if use.mask contains ncurses, and
4 > make.defaults contains USE="ncurses", this would have the same effect as
5 > what ncurses in use.force would do. IMO, this would keep things a bit
6 > simpler. But again, just a thought; I don't know if it'd cause any
7 > problems for portage.
8
9 I like to have them separate. USE and use.mask are incremental, that
10 means we might lock (via use.mask) a flag that is not set by the profile
11 the use.mask is in. This might result in unwanted locking. Considering
12 we want to use.mask (as in the old meaning, forcing it to be off)
13 ncurses in the current profile, then we also need to USE="-ncurses" in
14 the profile to make sure the flag is off and not activated by another
15 profile. This needs to be done for all flags that should be use.mask'ed
16 and that are, depending on the profile, quite a lot. Means double
17 management work. Other solution is to modify portage to evaluate every
18 use.mask and USE on a per profile level. But that's somehow against the
19 cascading aspect of the profiles.
20
21 > Question: with use.force, what happens if a flag is both masked and
22 > forced? Does it get turned on, get turned off, or get portage to
23 > complain and abort?
24
25 Good question. I would prefer to turn the flag off and make portage
26 print a message.
27
28 Sven
31 Sven Wegener