From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Soliciting input for a non-maintainer update (NMU) GLEP
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 10:55:41
1 On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:20:22 +0200
2 Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > But in every single metadata? Can I get a script for my 160 personal
5 > edits, pls?
6
7 You can find your metadata files with
8
9 `grep -r --include 'metadata.xml' \>xmw@g.o\< /usr/portage -l`
10
11 See "Inserting Content using sed" [1] on how to insert content after a
12 specific line, if you pass the above grep output through xargs you
13 should be able to easily adjust all the files. If you intent to do
14 more careful, then feel free to state so
15
16 [1]: http://devmanual.gentoo.org/tools-reference/sed/
17
18 > And what's a sane default?
19
20 Asked this is my sub thread. Let's see before drawing conclusions.
21
22 > Let's take a amount to time (~2month) for responsive people to mark
23 > their preferences and default to EVERTHING_GOES/ANYBODY.
24
25 It may be reasonable for this to go before the council to avoid us from
26 taking a rushed decision that results in inconsistent metadata across
27 the tree; whatever happens, a big share of people should agree on the
28 matter and this should be properly and unambiguously documented.
29
30 > And we lost the timeout dimension. An "Feel free to bump my stuff"
31 > override in devaway works for single maintained packages, how to
32 > interpret these data for teams and multiple maints? AWOL people...
33
34 If there are multiple maintainers, there would be no need for random
35 developers to take care of the package; the rules in the file would
36 therefore still apply. Note the "my stuff" part of this, which means
37 this is not really about the packages of teams and multiple maints.
38
39 > Bottom line: I think we need more of a culture of mutual trust than a
40 > ton of metadata.
41
42 Yes, I think of this approach to be somewhat like to my optional files
43 metadata approach; though it introduces less metadata, and tries to
44 deal with a slightly different matter, but we should still be careful.
45
46 > - Respect the right of an maintainer to take a few days until
47 > responding (except QA, security, major skrew ups)
48
49 I assume you meant committing instead of responding, this is already
50 covered by the dev manual (do not commit unless you never got response).
51
52 > - Take a look at the package/ebuild complexity to estimate the
53 > maintainers affection.
54
55 Add eclasses to that, they can contain some tricky magic which might
56 not be directly clear from the ebuild.
59 With kind regards,
60
61 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
62 Gentoo Developer
63
64 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
65 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
66 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D