From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New developer : Markus Duft (mduft)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:22:25
1 On 4/30/08, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > I think in that sense Cygwin is more Open Source, because how you get
3 > the primary shell/environment is available too. However, for me that
4 > doesn't matter, as the OS itself is inherently non-free in that sense,
5 > so that's what you have to accept first thing anyway.
6
7 I separate operating system and applications... Just like you run on
8 HPUX or AIX... There is Windows.
9
10 > Just for your information, we don't do stages at the moment, not in the
11 > forseeable future from my point of view either. Binpkgs are in the
12 > planning. In general we just do a full bootstrap, on Interix you need
13 > extra help from "prefix-launcher".
14
15 This is sad... I would really like to see fully operating portage on
16 Windows... It was more important to me in the past when I actually
17 used this OS...
18
19 I this sense [1] was a great idea! You could always use quickpkg to
20 extract binaries.
21
22 Alon.
23