From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New developer : Markus Duft (mduft)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:40:08
1 On 30-04-2008 21:21:06 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On 4/30/08, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I think in that sense Cygwin is more Open Source, because how you get
4 > > the primary shell/environment is available too. However, for me that
5 > > doesn't matter, as the OS itself is inherently non-free in that sense,
6 > > so that's what you have to accept first thing anyway.
7 >
8 > I separate operating system and applications... Just like you run on
9 > HPUX or AIX... There is Windows.
10
11 Ok, then SFU is just your entry point to the system, like your "login"
12 on AIX or HPUX.
13
14 > > Just for your information, we don't do stages at the moment, not in the
15 > > forseeable future from my point of view either. Binpkgs are in the
16 > > planning. In general we just do a full bootstrap, on Interix you need
17 > > extra help from "prefix-launcher".
18 >
19 > This is sad... I would really like to see fully operating portage on
20 > Windows... It was more important to me in the past when I actually
21 > used this OS...
22
23 Well... making stages takes time, but more importantly, requires you to
24 store them somewhere, and infra has no space for that. I do, but my
25 internet connectivity is not sufficient for that.
26 Besides, using Portage's binary support is more flexible, as the Prefix
27 isn't fixed, but adjusted to your need(s).
28
29 > I this sense [1] was a great idea! You could always use quickpkg to
30 > extract binaries.
31
32 I probably misunderstand. quickpkg creates binpkgs, doesn't it?
33
34 > [1] http://gentoocygwin.sourceforge.net/
38 Fabian Groffen
39 Gentoo on a different level