From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 15:42:33
1 On 19/10/2017 21:08, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Considering all arguments made so far, I'd like to propose changing:
3 > manifest-hashes = SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL
4 > to:
5 > manifest-hashes = SHA512 SHA3_512
6
7 +1, fine for me
8
9 > 1. The main argument for using multiple hashes is to prevent the (very
10 > unlikely) possibility that if a weakness is discovered in one of
11 > the hashes, the other would still hold. This is given by using two
12 > algorithms; more than two do not increase security significantly, while
13 > they do increase performance cost.
14
15 Curious, do we have any measurements/estimates of the performance cost?
16
17 Paweł