From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 16:15:39
1 W dniu pią, 20.10.2017 o godzinie 17∶42 +0200, użytkownik Paweł Hajdan,
2 Jr. napisał:
3 > On 19/10/2017 21:08, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > Considering all arguments made so far, I'd like to propose changing:
5 > > manifest-hashes = SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL
6 > > to:
7 > > manifest-hashes = SHA512 SHA3_512
8 >
9 > +1, fine for me
10 >
11 > > 1. The main argument for using multiple hashes is to prevent the (very
12 > > unlikely) possibility that if a weakness is discovered in one of
13 > > the hashes, the other would still hold. This is given by using two
14 > > algorithms; more than two do not increase security significantly, while
15 > > they do increase performance cost.
16 >
17 > Curious, do we have any measurements/estimates of the performance cost?
20 Not specific but I think it's pretty simple, assuming we don't get any
21 multithread-friendly algorithms.
22
23 With a single thread serial processing of all hashes, it's just sum of
24 times involved in every hash, i.e. Th = T1 + T2 + T3 + ... You'd have to
25 get some numbers to get something smarter out of it.
26
27 If we assume we can do N threads, then cost of N algorithms is equal to
28 the slowest of them all. Which implies that having N algorithms is
29 fastest on systems capable of at least N threads.
30
31 Taking a random comparison [1], it seems that SHA3/512 is 3-5 times
32 slower than SHA2/512. If we take that as conclusive, the relative times
33 would be:
34
35 a. single hash:
36