From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sandboxes
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 01:19:24
1 Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > On 3/24/06, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >>Thoughts on ideas on this somewhat more focussed idea? ( or at least I
5 >>think it's more focused :P )
8 > IMO motivation b) is not taken into account enough.
9 >
10 > You are missing out a general-user-overlay, where the developer adding
11 > a user to the access list would be responsible for him.
12
13 Hmmm that is not an intended goal at this time. "User-Contrib" sounds
14 overly too large. The aim is to make the overlay rather small, to allow
15 normal users to contribute to development of packages.
16
17 > We really need a general user overlay for stuff that is abandoned in
18 > the treee (maintainer-needed@g.o) or stuff that has not even
19 > been added to the tree (maintainer-wanted@g.o). Those are
20 > ebuilds that no developer is interested in, so a general way for users
21 > needs to be present to be able to take care of those in a
22 > policy-based-overlay instead of bugzilla. Also the overlay will be
23 > easier to access and more bug-free as every person who is trusted by
24 > gentoo-devs can just fix bugs that come up without spamming every CC:
25 > on the list as it would be in bugzilla.
26
27 This generally breaks the rule of "overlays.gentoo.org is not for end
28 users." The support in portage isn't there, the debugging is a
29 nightmare. The point of overlays is to expedite *development* where
30 user A wants to help maintain package B because it's pragmatic for him
31 to do so, but he doesn't want to be a full Gentoo developer. It is not
32 meant to be a "User-Contrib" overlay. I think that should be a seperate
33 ( if related ) project with different semantics.
36 > Regards,
37 > Stefan
41 -Alec Warner
42 --