From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions on creating an ebuild
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:34:51
1 Hey,
2
3 On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 02:14:32AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > I was wanting to create an ebuild of Judy libraries:
5 > glad to hear it :)
6
7 This is laying the groundwork for a bogofilter ebuild ;) But I didn't
8 want to promise anything until this worked ;)
9
10 > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/judy
11 > be sure to use the mirror://sourceforge syntax in the SRC_URI variable
12
13 Not at all familiar with that. Didn't see that in the developer docs. I
14 will look at some of the ebuilds to check that out.
15
16 > > You will notice that there is no version number in the software (because
17 > > the "big deal" about this software is the LGPLing of it). How can one
18 > > work around that? I have, so far, had to have an ebuild filename that
19 > > doesn't reflect the name of the tarball AND have had to explicitly state
20 > > the name of the tarball (and so not use ${P}). Can this be worked
21 > > around or should I contact the author of the software?
22 > in the SRC_URI, just explicitly type the filename rather than doing ${P}.tgz
23 > as for the ebuild naming, for now put the date stamp on it ...
24 > judy-20020627.ebuild
25
26 Ok. Have been doing that for the tarball. Will do that for the ebuild.
27
28 > > The other thing was the filename of the tarball starts with a capital
29 > > ("J"). Is this ok? It works (to have an ebuild file with a lowercase
30 > > first letter) but I am assuming if the tarball and the ebuild are to
31 > > have the same name, then this also needs to be fixed.
32 > source tarballs can be named however they want.
33 > you however better not even think about naming your ebuild with
34 > capital letters ;)
35 > capitalization is a big NONO with ebuild naming ... unforunately,
36 > not everyone has stuck to this. that does not mean you should also
37 > be one of these deviants :)
40 Couldn't agree more. I think I got some errors when I tried it anyways.
41 I prefer the ${p} syntax but this isn't a complicated ebuild.
42
43 Though it isn't autoconf'd at all so I can't seem to do --info-dir,
44 --man-dir etc. Will have to try to resolve that.
45
46 How do others do it when the upstream's configure script ain't autoconf'd.
47
48 On an aside, the author, on the sourceforge page, is requesting help with
49 doing the autoconfing and stuff. I don't have time to learn it. I wonder
50 if someone could offer the author a hand.
51
52 www.sourcejudy.com
53
54 Thanks.