From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:29:34
1 On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 12:12:39 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/13/2017 12:06 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > >
6 > > There is a down side you didn't talk about -- more work for the arch
7 > > teams and for us in terms of stabilizations.
8 > >
9 > > When we revbump, a new revision automatically gets ~ keywords on
10 > > all arches unless we make an exception. If a revision changes iuse
11 > > but could still be built with the stable tree, I would want to be
12 > > able to commit this type of revision directly to stable.
15 > I don't think you should be adding features and code to stable ebuilds
16 > in the first place, but if you're going to do it, then I wouldn't let
17 > a little -r1 on the end of the filename stop you =P
18
19 I agree stable ebuilds should not be modified. What William Hubbs is
20 talking about is the work it creates on others. Which I am not sure can
21 be avoided as things are now with stablization process and policies.
22
23 Change IUSE of stable package. It becomes ~arch. Then it has to wait
24 ~30 days to go stable. Which means it requires a arch tester, and then
25 someone to clean the old version before the IUSE change. That is the
26 extra work.
27
28 I think the difference is the package maybe using a stable tree, but
29 the change may cause the package itself to be unstable. Therefore
30 should go through the normal stabilization process. Despite being
31 stable before revbump. Not so much the env but the package itself.
32
33 P.S.
34 For my own reasons in my overlay I will skip a revbump at times when
35 making changes to an ebuild. But that is me doing stuff in my own repo
36 and with few users of my overlay. I know it is not the proper work flow.
37 Just cutting corners to save time.
38
39 My main reason to avoid is not lazyiness, as it is issues with my
40 ebuild-bumper. It does not handle -r*. If I am bumping a series of
41 packages with version A, to version B, if one has -r1 it requires
42 special attention. This is a personal thing in a personal overlay
43 outside of Gentoo. It would not be proper within Gentoo repos.
46 William L. Thomson Jr.