From: Anupam Kapoor <anupamk@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] limiting the number of virtual consoles in user mode linux
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:57:07
1 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 01:22:38PM -0700, Anupam Kapoor wrote:
4 > [...]
5 >> i am not sure i understand how it is related to spawning multiple
6 >> consoles during system boot.
7 >
8 > I'm not sure, but I believe that the following commands will create the vc's
9 > (which is not what you want):
10 >
11 > echo -ne "\033(K" > /dev/vc/${x}
12 > or
13 > echo -ne "\033(K" > /dev/tty${x}
14 > in /etc/init.d/consolefont (in case you don't have consolechars)
15 >
16 > By delimiting ${x} to the number of VC's you want you make sure that the
17 > kernel only starts that number of xterms when loading the UML...
18 i think the consoles are created by devfsd, with :
19 MAKEDEV /dev/vc/XXX c 4 ....
20 or some such.
21
22 i think 'echo' does not create any devices.
23
24 kind regards
25 anupam
28 > Wkr,
29 > Sven Vermeulen
30 >
31 > --
32 > Thanks to DRM, you know that something has been built in environment of
33 > unspecified degree of security, from source you cannot check, written by
34 > programmers you don't know, released after passing QA of unknown quality and
35 > which is released under a license that disclaims any responsibility...
38 ...mathematicians do it smoothly and continuously or discretely in groups and in fields.
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list