From: "Zaborowski
To: "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Re: GCC3.1 bootstrap fails
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 14:07:10
1 I don't believe you should _have_ to recompile your kde packages (I could be
2 wrong), but I would think it would seem reasonable that you should get a
3 performance gain recompiling those with the -march=athlon-tbird
4 -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 flags.
5
6 -----Original Message-----
7 From: Prashanth Aditya Susarla [mailto:aditya@×××××××.in]
8 Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 12:57 PM
9 To: 'gentoo-dev@g.o'
10 Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Re: GCC3.1 bootstrap fails
11
12 > -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 (I had to ebuild parts of Xfree manually so I
13 could
14 > change the flags in certain areas to get it to compile, and I also had to
15
16 Somehow I couldn't manage to do this. There was this problem with one
17 particular component (don't remember which, it was posted in one thread on
18 this mailing list earlier this month) and there was a quickfix solution
19 to it which said that it could be built manually in $PORTAGE_TMPDIR. I
20 tried it with all combinations of flags but I couldn't get it to work.
21 Ultimately I had to rebuild entire xfree with -march=i686 -O3
22 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe.
23
24 I had almost forgotten that qt doesn't honor make.conf and I went ahead
25 and built it and to my consternation saw it was using measly -O2 (and no
26 architecture-specific) flags. I think I'll just rebuild qt after I am done
27 with kde entirely.
28
29 Will it be necessary for me to recompile KDE if I recompile qt with these
30 newer flags? I shouldn't think so because I don't see any
31 qt-statically-linked components in KDE.
32
33 Regards,
34 Prashanth Aditya Susarla
38 gentoo-dev mailing list