From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michal Prívozník" <mprivozn@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should we switch IRC client defaults off Freenode?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 14:53:33
1 >>>>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Michal Prívozník wrote:
2
3 >>> 1. Should we be proactively changing the default network in IRC clients
4 >>> (provided they have one) from Freenode to Libera.chat
5 >>
6 >> Yes. IMHO Freenode is no longer a reasonable default.
7
8 > Why should we mangle with packages this way? I mean, to me Gentoo was
9 > one of the few distros that allowed real choice for users (systemd vs
10 > openrc, selinux or !selinux, etc.). We shouldn't be making choices on
11 > behalf of users. The best we can do is to open issues for whatever IRC
12 > client we have in portage to switch from freenode to something
13 > different.
14
15 This is merely about the _default_ network, not about taking away any
16 choices from users.
17
18 See my answer to question 2 (which you've conveniently omitted,
19 therefore restoring it here):
20
21 >>> 2. Should we be proactively *removing* Freenode from the network list
22 >>> in IRC clients (provided they have one)?
23 >>
24 >> No (but also don't re-add it if upstream decided to remove it).
25
26 > BTW: not everybody is switching from freenode to libera.chat.
27
28 A default is never about everybody, but about providing a good
29 configuration for the majority of users.
30
31 Ulrich