From: "Michal Prívozník" <mprivozn@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should we switch IRC client defaults off Freenode?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:28:37
1 On 6/16/21 11:21 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >> We've moved our official support channels from Freenode to Libera.chat.
5 >> All that's happened afterwards pretty much proves that this was
6 >> the right decision. Maybe even to the point of saying that staying
7 >> on Freenode would be dangerous to our users (e.g. because of the late
8 >> NickServ impersonations, ops with bad reputation etc.).
9 >
10 >> However, there are still IRC clients in Gentoo that default to Freenode.
11 >> I think the next questions we need to answer are:
12 >
13 >> 1. Should we be proactively changing the default network in IRC clients
14 >> (provided they have one) from Freenode to Libera.chat
15 >
16 > Yes. IMHO Freenode is no longer a reasonable default.
17
18 Why should we mangle with packages this way? I mean, to me Gentoo was
19 one of the few distros that allowed real choice for users (systemd vs
20 openrc, selinux or !selinux, etc.). We shouldn't be making choices on
21 behalf of users. The best we can do is to open issues for whatever IRC
22 client we have in portage to switch from freenode to something different.
23
24 BTW: not everybody is switching from freenode to libera.chat.
25
26 Michal