From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should we switch IRC client defaults off Freenode?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 13:05:15
1 On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 7:28 AM Michal Prívozník <mprivozn@××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 6/16/21 11:21 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > >>>>>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> We've moved our official support channels from Freenode to Libera.chat.
7 > >> All that's happened afterwards pretty much proves that this was
8 > >> the right decision. Maybe even to the point of saying that staying
9 > >> on Freenode would be dangerous to our users (e.g. because of the late
10 > >> NickServ impersonations, ops with bad reputation etc.).
11 > >
12 > >> However, there are still IRC clients in Gentoo that default to Freenode.
13 > >> I think the next questions we need to answer are:
14 > >
15 > >> 1. Should we be proactively changing the default network in IRC clients
16 > >> (provided they have one) from Freenode to Libera.chat
17 > >
18 > > Yes. IMHO Freenode is no longer a reasonable default.
19 >
20 > Why should we mangle with packages this way? I mean, to me Gentoo was
21 > one of the few distros that allowed real choice for users (systemd vs
22 > openrc, selinux or !selinux, etc.). We shouldn't be making choices on
23 > behalf of users. The best we can do is to open issues for whatever IRC
24 > client we have in portage to switch from freenode to something different.
25
26 ++
27
28 This makes about as much sense as changing the default homepage on
29 browsers or the default address book on email clients. All of these
30 things are used to interact with Gentoo.
31
32 At this point I think it should be pretty obvious to anybody
33 connecting to Freenode that something has changed. If our concern is
34 users getting bad advice there, perhaps we ought to have more devs
35 participate on the gentoo-user mailing list where we seem to hand out
36 plenty of bad advice daily? :)
37
38 I think that some point we need to just call this done. I was a
39 proponent of switching networks, but at this point it seems like every
40 FOSS org I'm in has some kind of daily Freenode drama going on. Just
41 about everybody has switched - just call it a win already...
42
43 I'm sure there will be people on Freenode 10 years from now, probably
44 in many of these same channels.
45
46 FWIW many IRC clients are already taking these steps. Connecting to
47 Freenode on my phone IRC client is a bit like connecting to my UniFI
48 controller at home using a browser...
51 Rich