From: Davide Pesavento <pesa@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useflag policies
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 19:03:48
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev
2 <tetromino@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Tue, 2015-08-04 at 11:59 +0800, Ben de Groot wrote:
4 >> On 4 August 2015 at 04:20, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> > [...]
6 >> > Gentoo should be the best of both worlds. We should give users the
7 >> > power to tweak things, but we shouldn't force them to play with config
8 >> > files all day long just to have a functional system. If users want to
9 >> > care we let them care instead of telling them "don't touch" like most
10 >> > other distros, but if they don't care we still provide reasonable
11 >> > defaults.
12 >>
13 >> And that is exactly what we do. The kde profile enables qt4, the
14 >> plasma profile enables qt5, the other profiles have no qt* useflags
15 >> enabled. These are reasonable defaults.
16 >
17 > That is not correct. The desktop profile enables qt4, because it is a
18 > reasonable default (for qt-only packages, USE=-qt4 means "don't build
19 > any gui", but desktop users always expect some kind of a gui by
20 > default, whether it's gtk or qt*.)
21 >
22 > The result is that qt4 is enabled in child profiles of desktop - gnome
23 > and kde and plasma. Since plasma enables qt5 and does nothing with qt4,
24 > you have all qt versions enabled there.
25 >
26 > And when popular qt5-only, gui-optional packages appear in the tree, we
27 > will need to enable qt5 in desktop profile too.
28
29 Exactly, +1.