From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useflag policies
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 05:10:57
1 On Tue, 2015-08-04 at 11:59 +0800, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 4 August 2015 at 04:20, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > > [...]
4 > > Gentoo should be the best of both worlds. We should give users the
5 > > power to tweak things, but we shouldn't force them to play with config
6 > > files all day long just to have a functional system. If users want to
7 > > care we let them care instead of telling them "don't touch" like most
8 > > other distros, but if they don't care we still provide reasonable
9 > > defaults.
10 >
11 > And that is exactly what we do. The kde profile enables qt4, the
12 > plasma profile enables qt5, the other profiles have no qt* useflags
13 > enabled. These are reasonable defaults.
14
15 That is not correct. The desktop profile enables qt4, because it is a
16 reasonable default (for qt-only packages, USE=-qt4 means "don't build
17 any gui", but desktop users always expect some kind of a gui by
18 default, whether it's gtk or qt*.)
19
20 The result is that qt4 is enabled in child profiles of desktop - gnome
21 and kde and plasma. Since plasma enables qt5 and does nothing with qt4,
22 you have all qt versions enabled there.
23
24 And when popular qt5-only, gui-optional packages appear in the tree, we
25 will need to enable qt5 in desktop profile too.