From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GWN Comments
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:10:13
1 Patrick Lauer <patrick <at> gentoo.org> writes:
2
3 > > I'd like to propose some form of ability to post user comments to GWN
4 > > stories. I suppose a full blown CMS system would work,
5 > (Ab)using a blog for that might work
6
7 Well, the Gentoo Forums users are already used to its commenting system.
8 Especially with the BBCode in place, which allows a nice formatting of
9 the messages. Blog is a different thing with different rules.
10 Who would like to administer that?
11
12 > > but for the ease
13 > > of time I'm suggesting that perhaps we open up a GWN section on the forums
14 > > and post the text of the GWN (or perhaps each section) in a new thread
15 > > each week and allow users to write comments.
16 > Sounds like a good idea.
17
18 This is a COOL idea! A "global" forum with a text-only copy of current GWN
19 would enable more users to actually read it. And adding comments would be
20 even more beneficial. I think that it would be best to place it near the top
21 of forums listing, like this:
22
23 -----
24 Assistance
25 -----
26 News & Announcements
27 Read this before submitting your first post to any forum
28 -----
29 Gentoo Weekly News
30 The GWN summarizes the key events in the Gentoo project each week.
31 This forum contains a copy of
32 -----
33 ...
34
35 Adding a sticky thread that explains what GWN is, where it is located [1] and
36 where to get an RSS feed for GWN [2] would be quite fine too. The only problem
37 could be to prevent creating topics in this forum by regular users, and giving
38 the ability to post comments only.
39
40 Additionally, a script for automatically converting GWN to the forums BBCode
41 format, with a link to the original version (with pictures, mostly) would
42 probably be needed as well. This would be similar to the existing GLSA
43 announcements [3] (GLSA's are both sent via e-mail and posted to the forums
44 right now).
47 I'm positively sure that it wouldn't be that much work, with the obvious
48 benefit for the users. More forum posters would definitely read GWN this way,
49 because, frankly, not every Gentoo user is subscribed to the GWN newsletter.
50 But OTOH they do visit forums more frequently.
51
52 Best regards,
53 Wiktor Wandachowicz
54