From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Baselayout 2 stabilisation todo
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:47:34
1 Hi,
2
3 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>:
4
5 > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Christian Faulhammer
6 > <fauli@g.o> wrote:
7 > > Hi,
8 > >
9 > > I'd like to collect some things we need to do before Baselayout 2
10 > > and OpenRC can go stable.  Up to now I have:
11 > >
12 > > * eselect 1.1 stable (current RC3) for the support in the rc module
13 > > * a newer splashutils stable
14 > > * documentation updates (http://bugs.gentoo.org/213988, thanks
15 > > Jeremy)
16 > >
17 > > What else?  As some of you might foresee, this can be as hard as a
18 > > major GCC stabilisation, so it must be well-planned and organised.
19 > >
20 > > V-Li
21 > >
22 > > --
23 > > Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
24 > > <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
25 > >
26 > > <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>
29 > The only reason why OpenRC has not come up for stabilization by it's
30 > maintainers is the fact that everytime there's a new version readied
31 > for release, on the horizon there's new incompatible changes being
32 > planned for the next version. The OpenRC maintainers in Gentoo have
33 > always chosen to wait until OpenRC settles down a little bit. Now with
34 > the plan to drop support for certain features (ADSL and PPP support in
35 > the networking code), it's going to rewrite more Gentoo people to step
36 > up to develop and maintain this code.
37
38 After having seen vapier speaking about stabilisation on -core we had
39 a discussion about the wanted news item, which i posted for review.
40 Before the "todo" mail, I wrote to the maintainers (Roy and
41 base-system) some days in advance, with only a reaction from Roy.
42
43 > If you're volunteering for this position, Christian, I'll happily step
44 > down and allow you to maintain this. I would also discuss this with
45 > zzam and vapier, the other 2 maintainers of OpenRC.
46
47 All I want to do is help with the stabilisation...which I though is
48 nigh.
49
50 V-Li
53 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
54 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
55
56 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>