From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Endless frustrations again :(
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 07:36:38
1 On 8/7/06, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > <big_snip>
4 >
5 > Okay, you simply don't want to talk or even think about this issue.
6
7 You have had lots of help from many different Gentoo developers and
8 users on your recent issues. All of these people are volunteers, and
9 have given their time and expertise to you for free.
10
11 Folks have been *very* patient with you - far more than *you* have
12 been with them.
13
14 > I won't waste more of my lifetime with it, and I won't let you
15 > do more acts of demotiviation. If you wouldn't have descrited my
16 > intensions this way and these personal attacks didn't happen,
17
18 Again - folks have been *very* patient with you, and have worked hard
19 to explain to you why the suggestions you've made are ones that we
20 don't agree with.
21
22 Instead of trying to fight all of Gentoo, you would do better to first
23 learn how a Gentoo system (and its packages) are intended to work, and
24 why. Gentoo's radical improvements over binary distros can be both
25 overwhelming and confusing at first.
26
27 > I would have set up my own overlay for this project and simply
28 > fix the problem. But obviously this isn't wanted here.
29
30 We welcome contributions to Gentoo. Folks are free to contribute by
31 contacting package maintainers directly, by getting involved on
32 mailing lists, by filing bugs and patches in bugzilla, by contributing
33 to official overlays (on o.g.o and elsewhere), and by contributing to
34 the Sunrise project. We're truly a community distro - one of only two
35 (Debian being the other) - and we live or die by the support we get
36 from the wider community.
37
38 I think setting up your own overlay is a great idea. I can't think of
39 a better way for you to learn about upgrades, downgrades, SLOTing and
40 dependency atoms than by maintaining a bunch of packages for a year or
41 two.
42
43 > All my other improvement efforts were simply ignored either or
44 > directly discredited, so they're also not wanted.
45
46 If you are saying that patches from you have been included into Gentoo
47 without appropriate credit, please let us know. That should not
48 happen.
49
50 On the other hand, if you are saying that you are feeling ignored ...
51 well, imagine how we feel. We've tried to help you, and explain
52 what's where and why, and we feel that you're either not listening or
53 just not understanding what we're saying.
54
55 > You just want
56 > to remain in your traditional grid of thinking. You won't ever
57 > listen, so I'll let you stay there in peace.
58
59 Maybe *you* need to learn to listen, in order for others to listen to you?
60
61 > I'm now warned that I it's not wise to use gentoo for mission
62 > critical environments.
63
64 Bullshit. Gentoo is a *great* solution for mission critical environments.
65
66 We have suggested to you that it's not wise for *you* to be using
67 Gentoo. You either don't want to learn how to use Gentoo the way it
68 is meant to be used, or it's too difficult for you. Either way, until
69 that changes, it's difficult to see how you will be happy using
70 Gentoo, or trying to contribute back to it.
71
72 Best regards,
73 Stu
74 --