From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Allow bash-4.0 features in EAPI="3" ebuilds
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 20:33:42
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 21 May 2009 19:57:49 +0200
4 > Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o> wrote:
5 >> > We always have to assume that there might not be an up to date
6 >> > cache. The Gentoo rsync mirrors do not always ship up to date cache,
7 >> > particularly if someone's just changed a widely used eclass.
8 >>
9 >> Users can wait an hour and run `emerge --sync` again.
10 >
11 > ...but that's not what happens. Instead, the users get their screen
12 > spammed with annoying messages,
13 Er I think you're confusing paludis and portage.
14
15 > get confused and run to bugzilla in droves.
16 >
17 Nice to see you have such a high opinion of our users.
18
19 IME users are more than happy to wait a bit and sync. I agree there's
20 work crying out to be done to make things more convenient. Your GLEPs
21 don't begin to address those issues, unfortunately.
22
23 Here, this sums up what's wrong with most of your cockamamy ideas (as
24 attractive, and oh so right, as they may seem to you now):
25
26 http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s07.html
27
28 To paraphrase you: Go and read it and don't come back til you've
29 actually understood the concepts.
30
31 > This just takes us right back to the bad old days when changing
32 > anything would result in mass user confusion. The whole 'EAPI' thing
33 > wasn't an arbitrary whim.
34 >
35 Nor was it supposed to be a six-monthly dump to the list along with a
36 whole slew of new, half-baked 'proposals' "everyone has to comply" with
37 as "it's in PMS."
38
39 Abuse of process doesn't make you right; it just makes you annoying.
42 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)