From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net forwarding
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 17:24:56
1 Spider wrote:
2 > Topposting ;)
3 >
4 > I prefer to use :
5 > echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
6 > instead of the sysctl variant.. and I do this both "on" and "off" in my
7 > iptables script.. that's where I consider it "fitting"
8
9 may I ask you why do you prefer the /proc variant ? I have no prejudice
10 on both,
11 but I'm wondering why there is some many "sysctl" based scripts
12 (in other distros).
13
14 I thought iptables was the "IP packet filter". Ip forwarding
15 can be used for other things, like openvpn tunneling or other
16 routing stuff which doesn't depend on iptables, right? What if I don't
17 have installed iptables ? Where it should go then ?
18
19 I would avoid to complicate the /etc/init.d/net script. Perhaps a
20 separated /etc/init.d/net_forwarding (not sure about the nomenclature) ?
23 Marko