From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net forwarding
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 21:03:43
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 00:22:26 -0400
3 Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org> wrote:
6 > may I ask you why do you prefer the /proc variant ? I have no
7 > prejudice on both,
8 > but I'm wondering why there is some many "sysctl" based scripts
9 > (in other distros).
10 less spawning of programs (fewer threads == faster and less disk
11 accessing on a low-ram machine )
12 implementation is simpler in many cases (less prone to error since I'm
13 more used to shell syntax)
16 > I thought iptables was the "IP packet filter". Ip forwarding
17 > can be used for other things, like openvpn tunneling or other
18 > routing stuff which doesn't depend on iptables, right? What if I don't
19 > have installed iptables ? Where it should go then ?
20
21 Well, net, bootmisc is one thing, but I have it in my iptables script
22 because thats where I tune my other firewall/network related settings,
23 syncookies, high/low ports and memory threshholds as well as my port
24 forwarding and ip forwarding rules, and ecn bit settings.
27 as for your idea on more scripts, I prefer to keep them less, means less
28 overhead and fewer points of failure in the caching mechanism..
31 //Spider
32 --
33 begin .signature
34 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
36 end