From: Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new ports and binary CDs
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:37:20
1 On Wednesday 20 February 2002 10:30, fusion@×××.edu wrote:
2 > 1. Is there a way to generate a binary CD image? I'd like to
3 > install Gentoo on my friends' machine's but I don't think they'll
4 > enjoy the wait. I can compile at the proper optimizations in the
5 > background on my beefeater 1GHz for a few days much easier than they
6 > can on their own, or wait for the bootstrap process.
7 I'm not sure about generating binary images, but what you can do is extract
8 the .tbz2 build archive to a dir on your harddisk (from your current working
9 system), chroot, and bootstrap and compile in the background. You can follow
10 the install guide from the chroot onwards. Then, just copy the dir onto your
11 friend's root dir and set the partition settings.
15 Dan Armak
16 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team (KDE)
17 Matan, Israel