From: Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] make.conf optimization flags for k6, athlon
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 00:14:09
1 On Sunday 15 July 2001 03:54, you wrote:
2 > A few comments I've been meaning to make.
3 >
4 > 1. According to the GCC documentation you shouldn't be using -m<processor>
5 > any more. It's been depreciated in favor of -mcpu<processor>.
6 I know that. The mpentium etc. flags wre in the originl make.conf, the things
7 I added were -march=x -mcpu=x. I'll change mpentium for march=pentium if I
8 haven't already.
11 > 2. You don't need to use -mcpu usually with -march as -march sets -mcpu
12 > for you. I say usually 'cause there's an AMD processor (can't remember
13 > which) that uses a different instruction set than the default set by the
14 > -march it uses.
15 I think you're wrong. If I say march=i486 mcpu=i586 this means the binary
16 will run on any 486 or better, but is optimized for the 586.
20 > 3. The usage of processor names has been depreciated as well. Should
21 > use i586, etc. instead.
22 For intel processors maybe. However AMD's k6, though a 586, is better than a
23 Pentium, and the Athlon, though a 686, is better than a Pentium3.
24
25 Although it really would be better if gcc allowed for flags of instruction
26 sets etc. so that you could define your 'custom processor' by saying, use
27 MMX+3DNow!2+sse. Than we'd know exactly what optimization it was doing.
30 Dan Armak