From: Thomas Beaudry <k8la@××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] make.conf optimization flags for k6, athlon
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 00:44:23
1 > > A few comments I've been meaning to make.
2 > >
3 > > 1. According to the GCC documentation you shouldn't be using
4 -m<processor>
5 > > any more. It's been depreciated in favor of -mcpu<processor>.
6 > I know that. The mpentium etc. flags wre in the originl make.conf, the
7 things
8 > I added were -march=x -mcpu=x. I'll change mpentium for march=pentium if
9 I
10 > haven't already.
11
12 Just making an observation of what I've seen to date. Haven't seen your
13 additions yet. In fact, I just downloaded them.
16 > > 2. You don't need to use -mcpu usually with -march as -march sets -mcpu
17 > > for you. I say usually 'cause there's an AMD processor (can't remember
18 > > which) that uses a different instruction set than the default set by the
19 > > -march it uses.
20 > I think you're wrong. If I say march=i486 mcpu=i586 this means the binary
21 > will run on any 486 or better, but is optimized for the 586.
22
23 You're correct. I had the nagging feeling there was a second exception
24 but decided I was crazy after thinking about it for a few seconds.
25 Didn't have the time then to look it up.
29 > > 3. The usage of processor names has been depreciated as well. Should
30 > > use i586, etc. instead.
31 > For intel processors maybe. However AMD's k6, though a 586, is better
32 than a
33 > Pentium, and the Athlon, though a 686, is better than a Pentium3.
34
35 > Although it really would be better if gcc allowed for flags of
36 instruction
37 > sets etc. so that you could define your 'custom processor' by saying, use
38 > MMX+3DNow!2+sse. Than we'd know exactly what optimization it was doing.
39
40 Now arguments there. It really peaves me that it won't use the MMX
41 extensions on my Pentium 167 +MMX machine.