From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: Todd Berman <tberman@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for the portage maintainers
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:17:23
1 Todd Berman wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-12-04 at 11:59 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>Todd Berman wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>On Mon, 2004-12-04 at 11:22 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>>Troy Dack wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>>>Another point against a monolithic zip containing all the ebuilds (or
13 >>>>>even per directory zips) is the performance hit that slow machines would
14 >>>>>take, not everybody runs gentoo on a 2GHz plus machine (eg: my little
15 >>>>>PII-400 in the corner)
16 >>>>
17 >>>>Or my little P233 Thinkpad...
18 >>>>
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>>And with the current setup of writing thousands of 1K files that little
22 >>>p233 thinkpad really flys i bet...
23 >>
24 >>I'm not sure if that was supposed to be sarcastic, but yes, it does fly. It only takes
25 >>slightly longer to sync than my Athlon 1.3GHz desktop. The only part that takes forever is
26 >>updating the portage cache. That's why I just use a NFS shared portage tree from my
27 >>desktop machine now.
28 >
29 > In a way it was and in a way it wasn't. I honestly don't understand how
30 > you can explain to me that a compression-less zip file be any slower
31 > than the current setup.
32 >
33 > With compression I could understand, but without I don't think any speed
34 > difference would be noticeable. However, even with compression the
35 > operation should be fairly fast. zip is not like a tar.gz or tar.bz2,
36 > ie, you can read a file out of it and search through it fairly fast, and
37 > you don't have to uncompress the entire archive to get a single file.
38
39 Even without compression, there is still a little bit of overhead with having ebuilds and
40 such contained in ZIP files. The overhead comes into play both during sync and emerge. It
41 wouldn't be noticable on a fast machine (e.g. my Athlon 1.3GHz desktop) but it would make
42 an operation like 'emerge -uDpv world' take quite a bit longer on my Thinkpad.
43
44 As someone else pointed out, the ZIP files wouldn't make syncs faster either. Rsync
45 transfers only the differences in files and not the entire app-text directory or whatever
46 category you're working with.
47
48 As another person pointed out, it would be more difficult to modify ebuilds in the tree by
49 hand when they're contained in ZIP files.
50
51 It was a good idea, but I don't think it is practical.
54 Andrew Gaffney
55 Network Administrator
56 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
57 636-357-1548