From: Todd Berman <tberman@g.o>
To: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for the portage maintainers
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:06:21
1 On Mon, 2004-12-04 at 11:59 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Todd Berman wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2004-12-04 at 11:22 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>Troy Dack wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >>>Another point against a monolithic zip containing all the ebuilds (or
8 > >>>even per directory zips) is the performance hit that slow machines would
9 > >>>take, not everybody runs gentoo on a 2GHz plus machine (eg: my little
10 > >>>PII-400 in the corner)
11 > >>
12 > >>Or my little P233 Thinkpad...
13 > >>
16 > > And with the current setup of writing thousands of 1K files that little
17 > > p233 thinkpad really flys i bet...
18 >
19 > I'm not sure if that was supposed to be sarcastic, but yes, it does fly. It only takes
20 > slightly longer to sync than my Athlon 1.3GHz desktop. The only part that takes forever is
21 > updating the portage cache. That's why I just use a NFS shared portage tree from my
22 > desktop machine now.
23
24 In a way it was and in a way it wasn't. I honestly don't understand how
25 you can explain to me that a compression-less zip file be any slower
26 than the current setup.
27
28 With compression I could understand, but without I don't think any speed
29 difference would be noticeable. However, even with compression the
30 operation should be fairly fast. zip is not like a tar.gz or tar.bz2,
31 ie, you can read a file out of it and search through it fairly fast, and
32 you don't have to uncompress the entire archive to get a single file.
33
34 --Todd
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list