From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for the portage maintainers
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:59:28
1 Todd Berman wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-12-04 at 11:22 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>Troy Dack wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Another point against a monolithic zip containing all the ebuilds (or
7 >>>even per directory zips) is the performance hit that slow machines would
8 >>>take, not everybody runs gentoo on a 2GHz plus machine (eg: my little
9 >>>PII-400 in the corner)
10 >>
11 >>Or my little P233 Thinkpad...
15 > And with the current setup of writing thousands of 1K files that little
16 > p233 thinkpad really flys i bet...
17
18 I'm not sure if that was supposed to be sarcastic, but yes, it does fly. It only takes
19 slightly longer to sync than my Athlon 1.3GHz desktop. The only part that takes forever is
20 updating the portage cache. That's why I just use a NFS shared portage tree from my
21 desktop machine now.
24 Andrew Gaffney
25 Network Administrator
26 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.