From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make the "policykit" USE flag global
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:27:11
1 Le 19/03/2009 15:23, Robert Piasek a écrit :
2 >> Feel the trend? gnome-base/gnome-panel will follow soon. Lets make this
3 >> global. Unless we decide that PolicyKit is the future and make it
4 >> compulsory).
5 >>
6 >> If no one complains, I will make the changes in a couple days.
7
8 That seems reasonable. ACK from me.
9
10 > I think it would be also good idea to add policykit support and finally unmask
11 > it. It seems some packages have hardcoded --without-policy-kit / --without-
12 > policykit and some others add policykit to package.use.mask (btw can it be
13 > unmasked by user from portage level??).
14 >
15 > I've been playing with policykit for a while now and never had any real
16 > problems with it. I would gladly help to support it by default.
17
18 It's unfortunately not that simple. Some applications require very
19 little from PK (the clock applet from gnome-panel is one of those iirc).
20
21 But some others (I'm looking at you, gnome-power-manager) just fail
22 miserably if a specific policy file isn't installed. So for each package
23 that uses PK, we need to come up with a default policy file that fits
24 with Gentoo tradition.
25
26 Bottom line, none of us took the time to do this because we just didn't
27 have the time to take care of this. We could definitely use some help to
28 figure out what to ship as "reasonable" defaults to our users.
29
30 Cheers,
31
32 Rémi